Thursday, November 27, 2008

22) Boom-dee-ah-da, boom-dee-ah-da, boom-dee-ah-da, boom-dee-ah-da.

Tomorrow I'm going to review the meal so tonight I will be sharing what I'm thankful for.


It's funny when you think about it, it's really difficult for someone like me to be thankful for food, clothes, shelter, relative safety, all the things that a person needs to thrive because I've never been deprived of those sorts of things. It's like being thankful for air. I know that there's people who have asphyxiated, who have drowned or nearly drowned, who have diseases where they can't get enough oxygen. But it's sort of distant, unrelated to me. So when a person such as a news anchor says they're thankful for all these things, it sort of rings hollow.


So, it goes without saying that I'm thankful for all of the things that I need in life and all of the things I was born into. But there are some things that fairly often I stop and think, “Damn. I'm lucky to have this.”


I'm thankful that I have two jobs and that they're both pretty stable.

I'm thankful that I have health insurance.

I'm thankful that I am allowed to be an atheist, even if my family doesn't know about it.

I'm thankful for my college degree.

I'm thankful for the internet and the wealth of knowledge it affords me.

No comments: