Wednesday, November 5, 2008

1) One post every day for 365 days.

I've been wanting to do this for a long time. I was going to wait for the beginning of the year, but I decided that the day after Obama's election would be a nice time to start, symbolically. I might decide later on down the road that this was a stupid reason to start this exercise, but I think the important thing is that I'm doing it.

I will post something on this blog every single day from now until November 4, 2009. It could be musings, poetry (ha!), jokes, stream-of-consciousness writings, whatever. Why am I doing this? I was inspired by a guy I heard of (really wish I knew who it was) who drew something every day for a year, and by the end of the year his drawing skills went from total crap to quite impressive, not trying to study drawing or anything. I want to improve my writing skills and while I'm definitely in the top half, why not improve on what skills I have? Also, I think it will be good for me just to have something that I'm plugging away at every single day.

My rules:
At least 12 hours between posts that count for the day. I don't want to get into the habit of posting something at, say, 11:56 pm and then posting something at 12:05 am and being done for the next day. That's a good way to forget if I've posted or not.
At most 24 hours between posts, barring a situation where I don't have internet access. In that case, I will write something and post it a soon as possible.
No starting the day's post before 12:00 am.
Each post that counts for the day must be at least 200 words long. This ensures a good faith effort to write a real blog post and not just something that's meant to count for the day.
This isn't birth control, it's a diet. If I fuck up and miss a day or two, I won't throw the blog out and start a new one on Sunday. I will post as soon as possible and add more days on the end until I've reached my goal.

I may have to add more rules as I see fit, but I think this creates a good place to start. If anybody reads this, this is important to me so if you notice I've been slacking, remind me of my commitment to myself.

No comments: