Tuesday, November 25, 2008

20) Making the food for the day of the thanksgiving

Okay, tomorrow I need to start doin' shit for Tee Day.

We've got a huge guest list this year- three people.

I know.  I don't know how we're gonna fit everyone.

I know my dad and stepmom are thinking, "God.  Amber's here for Thanksgiving.  She probably wants to go to the farm and kill and pluck the bird herself."  That's silly, everyone knows that wild is the way to go.

Unfortunately, I've let my gun registration lapse* so we bought a frozen turkey yesterday.  I've already convinced the folks to let me brine it.  It's the first time I've brined anything so it should be interesting.  At least I'll have the kinks worked out for next year when god willing I'll be somewhere with lots o' people.  Though I doubt in that situation the turkey will be in my jurisdiction.

The menu so far:
Turkey
Stuffing
Giblet Gravy
Green Bean Casserole
Pumpkin Pie
Cherry Pie
Whey Biscuits
Vegetable Tray

Dad has lobbied for chess pie.  Since Tom Thumb didn't have one, I'll definitely think about making one.
I'm going to lobby for something with squash in it that doesn't have the word casserole.
I might also lobby for Ro-Tel cheese dip.
Nicole mentioned a ham.  We shall see if there actually is one.
We're gonna have a fuck of a lot of leftovers.  Oh well, guess I won't be cooking for a while.

Tuesday:
8:00
Check turkey for defrostedness, do cold water defrost if necessary.  Make stock with giblets.
9:00
Steam green beans
9:30
Mix dry ingredients for brine together plus 1/8 of water needed

Wednesday:
4:00
Put turkey in brine
6:00
Make gravy
8:00
Chop up veggies for veggie tray
9:00
Mix together all ingredients for green bean casserole except for beans and fried onions
9:30
Measure whey, mix together dry ingredients for biscuits
10:00
Clean up kitchen
11:00
Bedtime, full stop.

Thursday:
9:00
Clean up kitchen
10:00
Prep turkey for cooking, put in oven at 300 degrees
11:00
Make cheese dip, if applicable
11:30
Set out veggie tray
Fill sink with hot soapy water
12:00
Prepare stuffing, stuff turkey, increase oven temp to 350
12:30
Cleanup tiiiiime!
2:00
Put ham in oven
2:30
Heat up gravy
Cook green bean casserole
3:00
Make biscuits, bottom rack 425 degree oven
Put pies in oven, top rack
3:30
Move pies to bottom rack, reduce heat to 350 if making chess pie
4:00
Make chess pie if applicable, top rack


*Yes, I know that Texas doesn't require you to register to own a rifle.  Or any gun for that matter.

No comments: